Monday, December 31, 2012

Angel Above

Happy New Year everybody!!!

So tonight my blog isn't going to be about my abortion really at all, instead it is going to be about an amazing woman who died a year ago tonight at midnight, rollerblading with her daughter.

Her name was Toni Torres. She was an amazing woman who I didn't know as well as her sister, whom she raised, or her daughter or her fiance; but I did know her. She was always there for everybody. I first came to know her because she worked for my mom. I would do filing and things for my mom in the office and got to know her.

Chola Loca was her name in Roller Derby 
Toni always looked out for me. She was a sweetheart. If it weren't for her there is a good chance that I never would have gotten away from "Steve" and I would have a child right now and an abusive person in mine and the child's life.

Her in a Roller Derby Outfit, Also what she was buried in
I would run into her where ever I was in town and then if I was with someone that she knew was trouble she would tell my mom and my mom would come lecture me. I would get so mad at her and I had just been busted for it about two weeks before she died and was still frustrated at her. I knew she did it to keep me safe, but I just thought, "its my life, let me learn from my mistakes." If it weren't for her I would have been with a guy who had been to prision for beating his ex-girlfriend and who had tried to strangle me. I would still be with the baby's father still who she let my mother know after my graduation party that he had a 4 year old son he had lost custody of and that she had worked with him in a correctional facility. So even though she was probably breaking laws, she saved my life in a lot of ways.

I know she effected other people in the same way. She was an amazing woman and I miss her like crazy. Her smile was contagious and so was her laughter. She didn't have an easy life growing up, her mother died and she was stuck raising her sister. Then she had a daughter and raised her also. She was an amazing role model and I hope that I can be close to who she was.  She was fun. She was honest, trust worthy and just awesome. She even did roller derby. Miss you hun.

Tonight has been fun but I have thought of you all night, especially when watching the ball drop. This holiday will always be filled with the memory of you, in everyone's heart that you touched. Mid-night will always mark the time of your death. Can't believe that it happened then. Miss you dearly.

R.I.P
Toni, forever in our hearts, forever in our minds, and never forgotten.

No comments:

Post a Comment